DJ Jimmy Jatt's 25th Year As A DJ: I Never Had To Apply For Any Job

DJ Jimmy Jatt's 25th Year As A DJ: I Never Had To Apply For Any Job


Nigeria’s most popular Dj, Dj Jimmy Jatt started his career in the entertainment industry as a budding rapper before delving into DJ business in the late 80s. In 1989, he debuted as a professional DJ and after 25 years on the job, Jatt has every reason to share his success story in the industry. In a recent interview with Vanguard, he speaks about his career, family and love life.


Why are you celebrating your 25th years as a DJ? I have been a DJ for 25 years.  But I’m just celebrating my 25th years of being in the entertainment industry. I actually made up my mind in 1989 that I won’t do anything else apart from becoming a DJ. And since then, I have not looked back.

So, it’s 25 years of my being a professional DJ. Really. I have been reluctant to celebrate this milestone. Most people around me know that I am not a loud person, but the only reason I was convinced to do this was because, its 25 years of relevance and consistency. There has not been an off day for me in the past 25 years. I have never been found wanting in the industry for the past 25 years.

I hear a lot of people celebrate 10 to 15 years but within that period, there are times when they take a break for a couple of years.  But in my own case, I have ever been present. I felt for once in my life that I should really celebrate my achievements.

DJ Jimmy Jatt Before 1989, what were you doing? Like I said, I’ve been doing DJ work before 1989. Some people would know me from the mid 80s when I was just a school boy at Obalende. I’ve never applied for any job in my life. Before 1989, it was between my education and and the DJ work. So, I’ve been a DJ for a long time such that I’ve never had time to think of  any other thing. DJ Jimmy Jatt What’s your plans for the celebration? The main event will hold on the 3rd of August. It’s going to be strictly by invitation.

Then there will be the annual Jimmy’s jump off later. This year’s event would be tied to my 25th anniversary celebrations so we might switch the event a bit. It might not take the same direction people are used to. Then from October till the end of the year, we’ll be getting into some CRS activities to give back to the society, organise a lot of mentorship programmes for young DJs to encourage them. There would also be a TV reality show coming up soon. We are working tirelessly to make the best of this celebration.

DJ Jimmy Jatt What has kept you going all these years as a DJ? For me, my motivation changes. In the beginning, the driving force was the negativity of people towards what I do. Some people in my neighbourhood warned their kids to stay away from me because I was a DJ. So, for me at that time, the motivation was to prove such people wrong.

Then it got to a level where I got married and I felt I owe it to my family to be responsible. It also got to a point where I attracted young people into the business of DJ and they all were looking up to you. I owed them a duty to lead the way. These have been my motivation. Finally, it got to a point where people started celebrating me. At this time, my fan base cut across all generations. Today, I am one of the very few entertainers that dominate discussions among three generations in Nigeria.

I am a brand that cuts across everybody. So I always have all these at the back of my mind, and it keeps me going. DJ Jimmy Jatt Have you ever thought of quitting the job? Of course, like every other business in this country, after six months, there are definitely times when frustration would set in even if you are into oil and gas business. But for me, right from the onset, there has always been that discouraging factor. But I’ve had to deal with it from the very start.

Even when I feel like I’m going to give up, I always remember those early times and I keep moving ahead. Because, if I give up, those people who didn’t give me a chance in the beginning would smile, so that kept me going even in my lowest moments. DJ Jimmy Jatt Would you say, you are fulfilled having spent 25 years as a DJ? I think once you get to that point where you are fulfilled, then the next thing is to buy your coffin, am not, am still hoping to make some impact and take things to the next level.

Source





share this article to: Facebook Twitter Google+ Linkedin Technorati Digg
Posted by Unknown, Published at 6:01 AM and have 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment